As a state-approved organization, specifically educating multiply handicapped & underprivileged children & adults from throughout the Tristate region & beyond, SCHI’s aim is to try and alleviate the suffering of the most vulnerable members of the community.
SCHI provides educational and therapeutic services by certified professional staff to children with disabilities as varied as autism, Down syndrome, ADHD, muscular dystrophy, Spina bifida, and cerebral palsy, among others. SCHI places great emphasis on maintaining a high teacher to pupil ratio (minimum of 1:2) along with individualized educational programs, designed to fit each student’s specific needs.
SCHI’s unique curriculum gives special children the opportunity to benefit from a wide range of subjects including vocational training & financial literacy, art, music, computers, as well as math, language arts and science courses. Regular classroom faculty are augmented and complemented by specialists in various occupations: physical, occupational and speech therapy, behavior modification and social work. Included in SCHI’s additional services are: early intervention, adult programs, and group home services. Our main goal is to provide every student with a chance to excel.
- Our philosophy is to provide support to parents, teachers and students. Our staff has developed programs that are unique to this school and the special children and the families that make up this community.
- The goal of the program is to enhance the educational experience through multifaceted, interrelated education. This program includes: parenting workshops ;individual, family and/or group counseling; and intensive wrap around services for the teaching staff.
- We provide parenting workshops specifically designed for parents of children with special needs which include discipline strategies, positive reinforcement program and communication skills with continuous parent support groups.
- SCHI has an on-going staff development program which provides information, workshops and support to the teachers on a weekly basis, presenting the most up-to-date information on specific disabilities and intervention programs. This affords the teachers a forum to share their concerns, offers constructive input and closely follow the progress of the students.
- The unique school for children with developmental disabilities offers a multidisciplinary approach to understanding and strengthening the overall quality of education for the children and families of SCHI.
- SCHI is a school where children can learn at their own pace. Their natural style of learning is supported and nurtured and the home-like environment is conducive to educational and emotional growth. Each child is assigned a team of highly skilled professionals who with their expertise and experience, create optimum learning opportunities. SCHI is a truly unique school with an exceptional record of achievement.
- SCHI is truly a family, bringing not only education and guidance to our students, but support for our devoted parents and joy into the lives of our staff. Each of us gains fulfillment through the smiles, hugs and laughter the children share. Together we create a warm, loving setting which enriches us all.